A website is more than just a business portal. You can use it effectively to gain traffic, followers, leads, clients, and finally, evangelists. At SmartSocialBrand, we don’t just build websites, we build websites that “sells”.
SmartSocialBrand is leading digital marketing company based in Hyderabad. We educate our clients about the importance of SEO strategy for a new website. SEO should be a key element at the beginning of the web design & development project.
Here are the key elements of an effective business website to optimize for organic search:
- Value Proposition
Before you start working on your website, you should introspect and know the best way to position your brand, its products, and services. Ideally, try to find a narrow niche where you’re well-positioned once your business is launched. When you are a new business with no domain authority, it is smart to start with a narrow niche.
Having a pretty looking website is not going to make the cut if it cannot be found online. Many companies ignore SEO when they launch their website.
SEO can make or break a website. Build your website with technical SEO in mind. Here are some ways to ensure that your website is technically sound from an SEO perspective:
- Your site should be crawlable and indexed by the search engines: Some easy ways to check if your pages are able to be crawled and indexed are to have a robots.txt file on the website, a free Chrome extension like Robots Exclusion Checker, Google Search Console’s coverage report etc.
- Have a robust site architecture and linking structure: Building strong SEO foundations starts with your website’s architecture.Think about the structure before your website grows so that it will be easier to keep all the pages organized, and crawlable. It will also avoid unnecessary URL changes, the need for 301 redirects, and 404 errors later. Create a sitemap and submit it to tools like Google Search Console and Bing Webmaster Tools so that it gets discovered by search engines sooner. Once your website structure is sound, you can start working on the content, keyword research, link building, etc next.
- Choose your domain, CMS, theme and plugins carefully: Pick the right domain the first time as this is the first thing that Google sees. Your ideal domain should either support your brand identity or keyword strategy or both. Create a simple URL structure avoiding lot of numbers and punctuation marks in it as it will confuse both your audience and search engines. When it comes to CMS, choose one like WordPress and HTML5 so that you get autonomy to edit all the factors to enhance your SEO and rank for competitive keywords. Take the time to figure out how to leverage existing plugins, explore more options in the WordPress theme, and optimally utilize HTML and CSS instead of adding superfluous plugins. The wrong plugins lead to an increase in website load times as well. So choose wisely and ask a digital marketing expert SmartSocialBrand for sound advice and assistance.
- Ensure your site is mobile-friendly and loads quickly: A mobile-friendly website is extremely important for getting a good rank on Google. Make sure that your site provides a great mobile experience to its users by testing your website before it goes live. Google prefers sites which load below one second. Your website loading time should be ideally under 2 mins and not more than 3 minutes. GTmetrix and Google PageSpeed Insights are some of the tools that you can use to check your website’s score.
- Optimize the Metadata of Your Site: Optimizing the Metadata on each page of your website helps boost your traffic and rankings. Write your meta titles and descriptions carefully for each page before your website goes live. The three key meta tags that you should use are ‘Title Tag’ which specifies the title of your web page for search engines and visitors and displayed as a clickable link, ‘Meta Description’ which describes the page content and shown below the page title in the search results, and Alternative Text (Alt) Tag which should be added to each image on your site to allow search engines to index properly.
- Start internal link building and high-quality backlinks: Unless there are links to all pages on your website, search engines will not be able to find, crawl and index those pages. Internal links play a huge role when it comes to website ranking apart from content. Internal linking also helps identify content gaps. When you are launching a new site, it should have high-quality backlinks from high domain authority, relevant websites. Link building helps get your new website get found online and keywords ranked. There are many ways to get high-quality backlinks. Some of them are interviews, expert mentions, blogger talks, reviews, guest posts to name a few. Use linking to boost SEO and the user experience.
- Analytics & Tracking
Analytics and tracking tools are key for SEO to improve the website and generate traffic. Google Search Console and Google Analytics are two free SEO tools that we highly recommend. You can set up your site on Google Search Console, connect it to Google Analytics, and then create a KPI dashboard to analyze your SEO performance – the number ranking keywords, impressions, organic search users to your website, which campaigns are performing well, and which ones are not, etc.
- Audience Audit
While SEO is important, your focus should be first on the customer. You need to put your customer at the heart of all marketing efforts to build the best web experience for them. You should know who you are targeting. Who are your customers? What are their pain points, motivators, decision criteria, and buying behavior? When you conduct a thorough audience research and audit, you will know who to optimize the website for and how to go about it,
- Competitor Analysis
If you are launching a new website, it’s good to check your competition’s SEO strategy. What’s working and not working for them? Do a deep-dive competitor analysis and make a list of all hyperlocal and digital competitor websites which can affect your bottom line. We recommend tools like SEMrush which list your competition’s strengths and weaknesses, their SEO strategy, content marketing, and link building strategies. Check the top-performing pages along with keywords and backlink sources of your competitor’s websites
- User-focused Content
Content is the best way to drive organic traffic to your website. So, have a solid content strategy in place to have well-researched original and diverse content in place. Make sure that your content meets Google’s Search Quality Evaluator Guidelines. Writing useful content for your target audience can do wonders for your new website. Putting yourself in your audience shoes helps create purposeful content that helps answers their queries and problems.
- Web Pages
Build your foundational pages of the website that focus on your key business objectives. Web Pages such as About, or Service Pages bring credibility to your brand and this can be boosted with client testimonials, founder and team details, company mission, vision, goals, business process, and solutions. Include keywords that your potential leads might be using and concentrate on creating sub-pages for each foundational page.
At SmartSocialBrand, we have helped several clients create stunning and effective websites in diverse industrial sectors. If you are looking for website development and design services, please contact us to know more.